26 September 2026

Bailed out of another Welsh class

On the night of the start of my new Welsh class I was all keen, sitting in my home office with pen and paper ready. I was hoping it would be a good course. Three years earlier I had bailed out of a course that didn't teach me anything. Two years ago, I had accidentally landed on a course that was perfect for me. Last year the course was OK but not anywhere as good as that one. I knew any of these options was possible for this year! 

I had tried to engineer the situation: I had sent an email to the very good Welsh tutor to ask if she would teach any courses this year. She said that at the time of writing, these decision hadn't been made. She didn't say, though, that by the time she would know, she would let me know, which sounded to me as a hint that she wasn't going to facilitate me making a beeline straight to her, and landing in her class again. So I picked a course on the basis of the limited information they give. And then you have to just wait and see how it pans out. 

From the title of this post, it is quite obvious: I'm afraid it was the first option of the class not being worth my time. After two nights I bailed! A bit soon, but it just wasn't for me. So many people that it slows the course down. And the homework he gave was so basic I wasn't learning anything. I decided to just pull the plug. Two and a half hours of being bored and frustrated is too much!

I did gather my courage and sent another email to that very good Welsh tutor. Just on the off-chance that she teaches a course on the Monday evening and it isn't full yet. I had little to lose! But she wasn't doing a course like that this year, so I might have to just go through her old course material to keep my Welsh levels up...

 


 

No comments: