30 September 2026

Making running and biking safer

In spring I used a voucher I had won in a race; I got all sorts like a new flask, a dry bag, and some miniature lights. I figured I should have tail lights when I run in the dark. My current headlight doesn’t have anything to make it conspicuous from behind. And I have my bike lights, but I prefer to keep these with my bike gear. 

It was spring when I bought all that, so while the flask was taken into immediate use, the miniature lights were just gathering dust. But now it is autumn, and I expect to put them to use soon. 

I went for an evening run and wondered if I could attach one to my running vest. The lights have a sort of bracket you could, in theory, slide over a strap. This has to be a perfectly sized strap though, and what are the chances that you have one of those? I couldn’t attach it to my vest without it falling off, and I managed to put it onto the head band of the torch, but I decided I needed to improve on the fixing mechanism. And I went basic; I just drilled holes in the brackets so I could add something that would prevent the lights from falling off. I was thinking of twist ties as a quick fix. 

I will try them out at the next Thursday Night Hill. I hope it works! And then I will be safer than before. Great! 

The mini lights

With adjusted fixings


No comments: