When it is on the news that AI insiders are warning that there is more than 10% chance that AI will kill us all within 10 years, that is a reason to worry. Have I heard some people claim that this is a publicity stunt? Yes. Is that thinkable? Also yes. Unfortunately, it is also quite thinkable that they mean it, and that they know what they're talking about.
Some months ago I had a discussion with Neil about this. He wanted to know what could go so wrong. I didn't know the details. But what I had done was read a review of a book that goes into detail about these things: If Anybody Builds It, Everyone Dies. I bought the book, and gave it to him. I told him to read that rather than ask me questions. He's not finished it yet, but when he has, I'd like to read it myself. Not in order to feel reassured! Maybe more to know what to get mentally ready for.
I remember that many years ago, I read in the newspaper that some scientist in the know said that the next big disaster to happen to humanity would be a pandemic. They said it was pretty much inevitable. They just didn't quite know when it would happen. And I must say that when COVID-19 broke out, I did appreciate it I had had advanced warning. This could be the same thing.
Will we be killed by AI? I don't know! One way to find out. I really wouldn't put it past humanity to let it get this far. And that would, obviously, be sad. But if it happens, at least I think I will have lived longer than most people, ever. So I could consider myself lucky…

No comments:
Post a Comment