My plan had been to pop back onto Anglesey after meeting my Welsh tutor, and cheer on my friends Louise and Tony who were doing the gruelling Ring O Fire ultramarathon. All runners wear GPS trackers so you can find out where they are. But then I got the additional dinner-with-Lionel plan. I thought I could manage to squeeze Supporting in before the dinner, but Lionel was back on the surface earlier than I had expected. Maybe I could do it afterwards?
It was about 8 o'clock when Lionel and I had had our dinner, so I figured there was time to go back to the island. I had a quick look where Louise and Tony were. They were quite far apart. Oh dear. I had a guess at where Louise would be once I got close, and set off. She was ahead of Tony, and it makes sense to go see the front runner first. I headed for the general direction of Llangoed. I don’t know the tiny country roads there very well, but I hoped I would manage.
When I stopped somewhere to check again she had moved more than I had anticipated. I couldn’t catch her there. So where to go? And soon I realised it would have to be on the tiny road from Penmon back west.
It was all a bit improvised. I was in my work outfit and didn’t have a head torch with me. I was supposed to do this in daylight! Fortunately I have a torch keychain. My phone would be useless as it has short battery life, and I needed it for navigation.
I parked up by the toll booth and got out. I brought my phone on its charging pad, plugged into my power bank. That, at least, I had with me! And I made my way in the dark towards Penmon. I couldn’t catch her just about see enough.
After a while I saw a head torch approach. I shouted ‘Louise?’ No response. It was not Louise, I wished the runner well. And then there was another head torch. And headlights. A car was overtaking a runner - surely Louise - and the driver was shouting encouragements. It was indeed Louise! And I think the person in the car was Emma but I’m not sure. I hugged Louise. And she asked if I could walk with her. I wish you good! And even wrong. I might have been in a civilian outfit but I can jog for a bit like that.
She told me how it had been going. Quite alright, so far! She was feeling good, the weather was lovely, navigation had generally not been a problem and she had support. She said she had had a pot noodle and a change of clothes not too long ago. She was so fresh for someone who had just run 100 km in 12 hours!
We ran for a bit but I knew I had to turn back at some point. Get back to the car, check if I could still catch Tony, and at some point go home. At something that looked like a suitable point I gave her another hug and turned back. Without her I just walked. I was hot! And I want to spare the battery of my mini torch. When walking I could just about see enough.
I got back to the car and had a look at where Tony was. He was just entering an area you can't get close to by car. And it was getting late. I felt a bit sad but I decided to go home.
![]() |
| Screenshot of the tracking page, just after I got home. The blue dot is a relay runner. Louise is race nr 111. |
I went straight to bed. And in the morning I had a look at where Louise's and Tony’s dots were. Tony’s dot had gone black in Beaumaris; he must have decided to pull out. But he had come halfway! Still an amazing feat. Louise was comfortably in the lead. Even ahead of the relay team. Wow! That was amazing.
I was going to see Kate later that day, but she didn't mind if I first trundled up to Anglesey do another little round of cheering Louise up. And again it was a wild goose chase of tiny little Anglesey country roads, and her dot on the map jumping around. I ended up parking near Rhoscolyn, running down to the shore, and then just running east until I found her. She was glad to see me again. And she was clearly tired. Obviously! By this time she was about 190 kilometres in. Who wouldn't be tired.
![]() |
| The landscape where I found Louise |
This time I was marginally better prepared. At least I was wearing a sports bra and running shoes, but after I had set off I realised I had forgot my running vest, and my running shorts and top don't have pockets. I really relied on my phone to find her. Having my car key on me was also a good idea. So I decided to just keep my trousers on over my running shorts. These at least have pockets!
We trundled west in the general direction of Trearddur Bay. And we chatted a bit about how it was going. She also said she hadn't initially intended to do this race. Someone had had to pull out, and had offered her their ticket for free. She had thought she might as well take that offer. And look where she was now! She was struggling, but still going strong.
After a while we came to a parking lot where her support were: her husband, several of her children, and her sister. The sister had followed her around all through the night. That is quite some dedication! I had had a good night’s sleep.
This seemed to be a good location to hand her over. She had a little chat with her support, had a sip of coke, gave people another hug and then she was off. Shortly after the parking lot there was a somewhat vertical bit with a step down and then several smaller steps up. We could see her legs were stiff by now! But we had faith she would make it to the finish without problems.
I chatted a little bit more with Rebecca, Louise's sister. She sometimes comes to the track as well, so I know her a bit. But then I drove back to my car and headed for Penmachno.
![]() |
| Still from a little video made by Louise's bloke |
I tend not to have signal in Kate's house, or anywhere near it, but Kate magically does, and she confirmed that Louise had indeed won. Comfortably! And not just as first woman; first runner altogether. The first man came in about an hour later. Then when I got home and could look at an update myself I saw she had even broken the course record for women. She is such a legend!
![]() |
| A victorious Louise |
She later her texted me to say thanks for the support. I was surprised she was awake, but she pointed out she didn't want to completely destroy her circadian rhythm. And she said she would be supporting the Caernarfon Half Marathon the day after. I would see her there! And I really looked forward to that!





No comments:
Post a Comment