I had really enjoyed the 2025 Sbrint Stiniog! And I was hoping there would be a 2026 edition. I didn’t see any announcements. Until I did. And by then I saw it was on a date i already was double booked. So no Sbrint for me then. Until I saw it had been cancelled for reasons of bad weather. That matched with the rubbish weather I heard about that runners of the Anglesey 10k/HM had to put up with. I had been comfortable in sunny Birkenhead.
I hoped it would get rescheduled. And then it was: on September 20. Again, on a day with more going on. Not only was the RNLI 5k on in Llandudno; it was also the day after Neil’s Welsh 3000s. But I figured he would be asleep at thd time of the race, as I expected him to finish in the early morning. I told him I had registered, but if he wanted me around that morning, I would just not show up.
He was happy with me racing so I got my kit ready. I was feeling a bit under the weather but I couldn’t resist the race. And in sunny weather I drove to Tanygrisiau. I was cutting it quite sharp! I got to registration only a few minutes before it would officially close. I didn't think they really would close at that time, but still. I pinned my number on, did a little warmup, and had a last sip of drink. I was ready! And I spotted some people I knew: Alice, a former colleague, and Russell, the Tuesday Track trainer. He wasn’t running it himself; he was there to support his children who were.
Then we started. Like last year, I was at the front. A lot of people came past, but most of them were male. There was one young lady coming past, but my gut feeling was that she wouldn't manage to keep that up. I was right; after 200 m I had overtaken her.
I was quite happily trundling along. I had the feeling I had found a good balance between keeping a good speed up but not wearing myself out too soon. And quite soon I came past Nina, Russell’s wife; she cheered me on with all her might. And later, our former student Amy, who had been there last year too, did the same.
![]() |
| Looking uncharacteristically worried on the way up |
After a while I came to the turnaround point and could start making my way back down. That was an opportunity to see how far behind me the next woman was. And the answer was: quite far. I was confident I was going to win this. I know I am relatively slow on the downhill, but this just looked like a gap that was too big to close.
On the steep bits I just went as fast as I dared, and on the not so steep bits I tried to keep my speed up, to not let anyone behind me come close too easily. Even if it is downhill, you can still push it! And I was sort of using a young lad in black as a pacer. And I came past Amy and Nina again, which was great fun.
![]() |
| Storming down behind the bloke in black |
Then I got to the finish. I had done it! Second gold medal of the year! I was proud. And I went to get my bag, as I wanted a drink and my phone. A lady from the organisation congratulated me, and gave me a medal and my prize: a lovely water bottle. I went back to the finish the cheer on the next women. And whoever else was finishing.
![]() |
| The charming finish |
I didn't stay long. I wanted to get Neil, and hear all about his adventures. He had told me about them the night before, but he had come in quite close to bedtime, and now there would be a bit more time. So I scarpered. I did notice Garmin said my heart rate had been unusually high: up to 207 bpm. I hadn't pushed it unusually hard. Maybe that was the being a bit under the weather? I had felt totally healthy while running but maybe I had fooled myself...
When I left I didn't know my official time (I don't think it's far off last year's time) and I still don't know it at the time of writing this. There had been no updates from the organisation. I hope that will come soon but even if not; it has been a cracking race!




No comments:
Post a Comment