13 July 2023

Snowdonia trail 10k - plus travel

I had had the idea in my head for a while to do a race in Llanberis, and go there on bike. It's not very far; 10 miles! And going to a race without emissions makes me feel good about myself. It also saves parking worries.

With this in mind I had registered for the Snowdonia trail 10k. I had run it twice before; in 2016 and 2018. It felt a long time ago!

The race would have a 9:30 start, and I did not want to have to rush, so I left at eight in the morning. Quite early! But so be it. I brought lunch, coffee, water, and a jacket for in case. I had considered filling up with water after having done the climb to Mynydd Llandygai, as that saves me biking a heavy bottle up 270 m, but I decided that was too much faff. And it was okay. It was quite pleasant biking there!

On my way to the race

When I got to the site, the half marathon was just starting. Maybe one day I'll do that distance. It is a beautiful route! But with the additional two hours biking I had decided that this year wasn't going to be the year for that.

I parked up, and saw some very tired-looking people finish. This was something new to me; I was aware of the longer distances, but this was the finish of a 24 hour race. How often could people get to the top of yr Wyddfa (Snowdon) and back within a 24 hour period? No wonder these people were looking tired.

I took off my T-shirt to reveal my tank top with race number, went to the loo, drank a cup of coffee and had a fruit bar, and made my way to the start. They sounded the horn while "she Sells Sanctuary" was playing! A good start.

At the start

We happily trundled to the other side of the valley, and then along it. There is a beautiful stretch over a small path until you get onto the Llanberis path. I also got talking a bit with a lady running at a similar speed. 

Running in the direction of yr Wyddfa

Nice ruins along the route

Underneath the railway. The lady in the blue top would come 3rd! 

Then the race crossed over to the other side again. Soon we were climbing up the slate quarry men’s paths. It’s hard work! And I overtook the lady again who had run away from me on a downhill bit. And some blokes. I knew they would probably storm past me again on the final descent…

Steep uphill north of the valley; the bloke in the blue shorts I would see again twice more!

They did. But because downhill I don’t dare go full pelt, I had some energy left for the flat bit before the finish, and I managed to storm past one of the blokes who had overtaken me earlier. Then I was in! Finding the lady again, waiting for me. She said she had come in 4th! I congratulated her. And was surprised. That meant I was 5th! I didn’t expect a result like that. Not bad! 

I went to get some fruit, and my finisher pack, which was a mug, a coaster and some food supplements. Then I walked back to my bike. I saw there was an ice cream van; that looked attractive! I dropped off my stuff, bought me some ice cream, and went back to the finish to cheer some people on. 

Reward! 

I there found the bloke (in the blue shorts) I had stormed past. He recognised me! He had reroofed my garage. I thought that was funny; I had just noticed a week earlier the cement was falling out of the roof ridge. I told him that! He took it well, fortunately. And he said he would have a look. 

With that surprising interaction done, I went back to my bike in order to go home. I thought I'd have a picnic along the way. I wanted to finish my coffee, but probably somewhere prettier than on this field. Ideally, I would drink my liquids before I would do the ascent. It is pretty brutal, and any weight you don't have to lug up is bonus!

Looking back at Llanberis from the slightly brutal road back up


Obviously, I didn't find a spot I liked until I was on the top of the hill. I had all my drinks there, and my sandwiches. And I got a text from the organisers; I had actually come 4th! So the lady I had been talking to had been bronze! Such a good performance. 

I then went home. I was tired! So I avoided sitting down too much. I figured I would be tempted to not get up anymore. And I had to self-medicate; I had done three hours of sport on a sunny day, some of it strenuous, on less than two litres of drink. That's not enough for me! So a fair amount of paracetamol was consumed. 

Scenic tree on the way down 


I also looked up all the results. I had done well! I had been some eight minutes quicker than my previous record on this course. I felt good about that. And I had finished only seconds after the bronze lady. And I hadn't pushed it hard. I had even stopped a few times for pictures. I clearly could have run myself another podium position. It is almost as if I am getting good at this. Not bad at my age!

No comments: