12 September 2022

Finally removing the nicotine

I have no idea when I might get a Ukrainian in my house. But I do know how long I have been postponing a job I really should have done, probably as soon as I moved into the house. Although there were so many jobs my head was reeling! But anyway; Rose, the previous occupant of the house, had been a heavy smoker. It has been nice to pull lots of wallpaper that was sticky with tar and nicotine off the walls. I also had had to clean some ceilings, as you should not paint over cigarette smoke stains.

The upstairs bedroom, though, was the room that was in the best state of the entire house. It didn't have wallpaper to start with, and I didn't have a problem with the colour scheme or the carpet. So I just used that room as bedroom or office or both at the same time, without doing much work on it. It had been rewired when the whole house had been rewired, and I had to hide the evidence of that. And I had had the chimney swept. That was pretty much it! So the nicotine was still on the walls. And that is only just good enough for me, but certainly not good enough for a Ukrainian. 

It was time to get active! I got the sugar soap out again, and got to work. It wasn't even that much of a job. But they were places where clearly the walls have got wet, and the smoke stains had started dripping down. That was pretty horrible! And now that has been resolved.

Not a good look!

I need to do some serious re-jigging of that room if a Ukrainian would really be occupying it. And that is a bit more organisation. But the first step has been taken!

No comments: