21 September 2022

NHS gives up

Last month I had gone to hospital for an MRI of my neck. The NHS was still looking for a reason for the nerve damage they had found in my arms above the elbow. Maybe there was something my nerves couldn't really get past easily in the vicinity of my spine? And one day I quite unexpectedly got a phone call. It was from the physiotherapist of the local hospital who had referred me for that scan. She said there was nothing untoward they had seen on it, and that means they have run out of options! So the only thing they could recommend me was to manage my situation well. And that means making sure I don't use my arms any more than necessary when working. And I already know that I have to do that. And I am still doing the physiotherapy exercises I had been given a long time ago.

I have bought a little graphic tablet for my laptop, as they are quite affordable, and I don't think it is a good idea to carry the big one with me every time I go to the office from home or back. I just need to make sure that whether I work in the office on campus or my home office, I can do it responsibly! And I know that the University is not keen on giving people two complete set-ups. And I can understand that, but on the other hand; having people sign off for a month on RSI is a lot more expensive than giving them some hardware that would help prevent that! 

I think I will never know why I have that nerve damage they found back in the day when they electrocuted me. But that damage doesn't give me any symptoms! And I will just have to look after my lower arms myself. The NHS has done its best! 

Fighting the symptoms 



No comments: