16 September 2022

Start of the fieldwork

After the recent preparations, the day came that the fieldwork actually started! And we traditionally start with a walk around the field site, to give the students an overview, and talk to them about what we do and why we do it. This year was no exception. Martin had sent out a little map with stopping points and the topic to be talked about at these various stopping points, and I could guess which ones would be mine. I had made sure I knew what I wanted to say.

This year we started in the lab. Martin had decided he first wanted to brief the students a bit about practical matters, and he could show them a few images of the terrain that gives an overview you can't get when you're standing in it. And when that was done we piled into some minibuses and went into the field.

We started at the very top of it, by the bridge where the river comes into the estuary. It was gorgeous weather! It was a pleasure to show the students this area for the first time. And after the stop by the bridge we had lunch (time flew), and then we went into the marsh itself. That was where I wanted to do most of my talking! And I did.


Martin talking about the estuary near the bridge 

From there we went onto the sandy part of the estuary. That is mainly a place where Martin does the talking. But there are outcrops of old saltmarsh sediment, and during the coring day I will actively try to catch these in the subsurface, so there I did the second half of what I wanted to say.


Martin talking about the estuary further seawards 

 

Katrien talking about the estuary by the suspected fossil salt marsh sediments


After that stop there was one more, which was prime Martin territory with lots of beach and nearshore sediment morphology. And then it was time to walk back to our vehicles.

More talking about the estuary 

I got a special mission; we had only one key of the barrier, and one of our technicians was in a hurry to get home. So I was sent ahead with him. I would then just wait for the others, key and all.

I thought it had been a good start! Everything worked frictionlessly. And I think we managed to inspire some interest in the area in the students. And having lovely weather is always nice! And I could only hope that the rest of the fieldtrip would be equally frictionless!


No comments: