18 September 2022

Using a break in the fieldwork to find Ukrainians

There had been no progress on the Ukrainian hosting front. But I had been told about some drop-in sessions at the Quaker hall in Bangor for the local Ukrainian community, and I had decided I wanted to go. It would be a way to make contacts! There would be two of these sessions in consecutive weeks; the first one I missed for reasons of being in the field. The second one fell during the fieldwork, but on the day I would be off. So I could make that! So I got onto my bike and went there.

The Bangor Quaker hall

There were lots of volunteers, and a fair number of Ukrainians. I had a chat with the volunteers. They were very kind! And they were not the people who actually assign guests to hosts, but a crucial thing was that they knew who was, and where to find her. I had a really nice chat with several of them, some of which who asked me if I knew what I was getting myself into, but then decided I should go and try to find this mythical lady who was probably the person I needed to get in touch with. 

Bangor has a sort of a reception centre, and the volunteers told me where it was, and the first name of the lady that could probably help me. It was pretty close by! So I went there, and stood in front of a closed door. I expected that; why would you let just anyone walk in? But there was a receptionist, and he let me in. He told me I could go no further, but I didn't need to; I only wanted him to pass my contact details on to the lady who does guest allocation. And he said he could and would. So I gave him my email address, and told him I was hoping to talk to someone who knows the Ukrainians who are looking for a host. They would be the person who would be able to judge who would feel at home in my slightly odd household!

I really hope he indeed passes these details on, and that I get a message from this lady fairly soon. And that my plan works, and that those involved in the organisation will indeed pick someone who would be a good match with me. If so, that would be good for them, for the Ukrainian and for me! Only advantages; just the way I like it. Stay tuned!

No comments: