05 November 2023

Welsh class officially left

I dropped out of Wales class. I don't think anyone who read my report of the first session will be surprised! I did not experience it is a success. And I fully intended to do a second session in order to see or if things would improve, but the week after I was on the beach with the students, and the week after that I was teaching until 5 pm, while the class starts at 6 pm, and it is not that much less than an hour to bike home. If I'm really keen on making it to Welsh class I try to make it work somehow, by driving for instance, but I couldn't motivate myself for that.

The week after that I had a meeting with the sustainability initiative. And the week after that I really couldn't be bothered. I had woken up with a bit of a cold, and the day after I would have to lead a student field trip, probably on my own. I wanted to save my energy!

Later that week I emailed the tutor, saying I wanted to withdraw from the class. I didn't really see this happening anymore. And that next week I was going to be in the field again, and you never know what time you will be home. And I tend to be knackered at the end of a day like that! So I would just keep missing sessions if I would remain registered.

The tutor asked me to not leave. I didn't quite get around to answering her anytime soon. And the week after was the week with the panic about the Welsh teaching. I didn't have time for Welsh class!

Before that was going to be another session, which I could have made, I received an email. I was now officially deregistered from the course! I knew that if you are absent too often they boot you out. So that was it then! Or so I thought.

Later that week, suddenly an email appeared in my mailbox that said that the course had got itself a new tutor. Maybe there had been a bit of an exodus? So I wondered if I should go back. But before I could have acted on anything, yet another email appeared: it was another meeting having to do with sustainability in the valley on the Monday night, so getting in the way of any Welsh class. So I have another week to get my arse into gear and decide how to respond to this!

I have never left a Welsh class before, except for trading it in for another Welsh class. I have never quit. I take my Welsh seriously! But that first session just knocked all the motivation out of me. And a lot of things legitimately getting in the way of the class wasn't helping. But now I am at least temporarily Welsh class free! I really should make sure that if I don't go back, I swot up on my own, in order to improve anyway…

No comments: