10 November 2022

One library (and IT helpdesk) to rule them all

In the olden days, the school of ocean sciences had its own library. When I arrived, it had already gone. And I am sure that there were quite some decentralised libraries back in the days. One thing we still had, until recently that is, is a separate science library. And the science library was also where the helpdesk was located.

That would change. The University decided that only one library was enough! So the whole science library had to move to the main building. And the helpdesk came along. And given that I only need to borrow science books, I had actually never been in the main library. But that was about to change!

I felt like I really needed to go to the library in order to make sure I know my way around there. I can't direct my students if the place is alien to me! And the opportunity soon game; my headset at work wouldn't work. When I phoned the helpdesk they asked some questions and concluded that probably, it was a hardware malfunction. So I had to go there and exchange it.

I finally took my first steps in the main library, but mainly because you have to actually walk through it to get to the helpdesk! I'm not quite sure how ideal that is. But it is decorative. And from the helpdesk you actually have a good view on the University courtyard, which is undergoing severe renovation. It looks like it will be beautiful!

I suspect the situation is stable now for a while. They can’t centralise things anymore, now there is only one library left! So next time I either need a book or IT support, this is where I will go…

Entrance of the library from the central corridor 

More glamorous than the science library ever was!


No comments: