11 November 2022

Autumnal commutes

It's November now! And it shows. Since the clocks have gone back in late October it is quite likely that I bike back from work in the dark. And that wasn't the way before. I prefer daylight for my commute, but the dark can also be very beautiful.

Another thing associated with British Summer Time being over is that the weather gets decidedly autumnal! I had several commutes where the wind strength was somewhere towards the upper end of my tolerance. It tends to come from the left when I bike to work, and there are stretches on my route where I have to struggle to not be blown off course if the wind is strong. I don't find that very enjoyable! 

I also have got quite wet already! I am largely lucky, or calculating; given that I have a working set up at home as well, I can just go home fairly early if that saves me a drenching, and then just continue in my home office. But there are days when the rain is just an avoidable. And days when teaching decides when exactly I should be on my bike! So I have already spent a day in soggy shoes. Maybe I should be a bit more disciplined in wearing my shoe covers when I know it is going to be wet.

So sometimes the weather is not kind to me, but these autumn bike rides, be they in light or dark, can be quite beautiful! And I think I am lucky that I have a commute that sometimes inspires me to just stop and take a picture of the sheer beauty around me. That is more than worth the occasional uncomfortable ride!

This was in October; sunshine on the way home


Still October; evidence of heavy wind on the bicycle path


Commute under beautiful full moon (should be last picture but Blogspot is playing up)

November by now; almost managing to be home before dark


No comments: