12 November 2022

Pumpkin seeds

I don't think I had ever curved a pumpkin before! But this Halloween I did. And I made sure to bring home whatever I took out of the pumpkin. I fished out all the seeds. I've been using pumpkin seeds in my bread since I started baking it myself! I really like it. But for some stupid reason, if I have eaten pumpkin or something related, I have always just thrown away the seeds. Just a matter of habit, I suppose! But that would not happen to me this time.

I washed the rather slippery little things, and left them to dry. First mistake: I left them to dry on some tissue paper, but they ended up stuck to it. Next time I won't!

When they had been separated from the paper I roasted them. That was just a few minutes’ work. And they could immediately make their entrance into their first loaf of bread. And the result was lovely! I don't suppose they were any better than shop-bought pumpkin seeds, but just the knowledge that I saved them from being food waste makes them extra good.

I have since bought a butternut squash. I will definitely make sure to also use the seeds in that thing!



No comments: