15 November 2022

Finishing the Laverbread

When my sister was visiting, we ate cockles with laverbread. That's the traditional Welsh way of eating the shellfish! And I had a tin of the stuff in the cupboard anyway. But our dish didn't require the entire thing. What to do next? I did not want to go back to the beach to gather so many cockles that that would use up the rest of the stuff. That would be about a week of eating nothing else!

I turned to Internet. And I found a recipe for laverbread quiche. It was a bit of a misnomer; it basically was a vegetable quiche that you could add laverbread to. But that did what I wanted it to do! I decided that leek, the national vegetable of Wales, would be the right accompaniment. And I decided the quiche needed a bit of bite so I decided to also add halloumi. The seaweed is quite salty, and so is the halloumi, so these tastes can probably compete. And then the leek is the milder background.

The actual execution was not a problem! I make vegetable quiches quite often. And this one was a success! The seaweed really makes the quiche rather special. And I have managed to use up all the laverbread. So I have avoided food waste, and I have enough excellent quiche in the fridge to last me for a while! It's a win!

The laverbread 

The quiche before the top went on

Finished product


No comments: