04 March 2022

In the Netherlands

I had managed to get through the remaining travel restrictions to the Netherlands! So now I could enjoy the company of people I hadn’t seen in a long time. And as usual I started with my mother. It was lovely to finally sit at her table again and have a drink! It had been too long. And it always immediately feels like I have never left, but still. I found myself grinning like an idiot out of sheer enjoyment of finally seeing her again.

Beautiful Amersfoort

I also went to see my sister and her family. They were complete! Her oldest son had come over for the weekend. It was good to see them all. My brother-in-law was optimistic about the situation in Ukraine, quite unlike anyone else I had spoken with; my nephews were considering their working futures (both proximal and distant) and my niece played harp. And my sister dragged most of us onto the nearby moorland. In the sun!

Two generations on the moors

I also headed East to see my friend Monique. She had warned me she had a bit of a cold, so she could imagine I would prefer to give her wide berth, but I didn’t. I didn’t think the risk merited that! 

Old friends!

I also got to see my friend Roelof in his new house. He had been living there for a year already, but for me it was new. I walked there from Central Station, and it was a lovely route. And the new apartment was great! I could see why they had chosen it. He also took me for a walk and to the pub. That was lovely! 


Amsterdam looking good

Beer with Roelof

I also did my usual runs in Amersfoort. I had a race coming up, after all. I even spotted a woodpecker during one of them! And I went to a wool shop with my mother; she had suggested she knit me a jumper, and she wanted me to pick the wool. I already ended up taken one of her other knits home; she had made one that was right up my street! And I like the idea of wearing something she has made. 

Good running terrain in Amersfoort

We also tried a cousin dinner. It’s a bit of a tradition! And this time we would, for the first time, have my cousin Bart there. Unfortunately, he fell ill the day before, and had to bail out. Hopefully he’ll join next time! But we had a great time with just three. I hope one day we’ll manage six! 

Then it was time to go home again. It had been great, but I was also very keen to see the cat again! I missed her. And, of course, I had a job to get back to. But I was really glad I had been to the other side of the channel. Let's hope it never has to be such a rare occurrence again!

No comments: