07 March 2022

Travelling while having a cat

I woke from my slumber with a start. I hadn’t fed the cat! Then I realised I was in the Netherlands. Of course I hadn’t fed the cat. And if I had been at home, she would surely have reminded me. But I have had a cat now for over a year, and she’s firmly lodged in my life now, so if I travel I still feel my responsibilities. And my affection.

This had only been the second time I had traveled for a few days since she moved in. The fist time was after only a few months. At that time, she didn't sleep in my bed yet. I think it makes a difference. Now she has been with me for over a year, and she sleeps in my bed every night. We surely have got closer since last summer. And I missed her! She was clearly in my mind, even when I was more or less asleep.

It was nice to flirt a bit with my sister's cat. That was the only cat I would meet during my travels! And my sister doesn't have a cat flap, so it is easy to make a good impression on the cat by opening the door for her. And it's not a difficult cat to make friends with.

When I got back I opened the door, walked in, and immediately heard a cacophony of meows. She came running, and we had a big cuddling session right at the front door. It was so good to see her again! Then she really wanted me to go downstairs, but I saw she still had plenty of food. The neighbour had been looking after her well. There also were some remnants of a mouse. That might be the first kill I have seen her make this year!

Once inside throw the bag on the floor, and give attention to the cat...


Cuddles


Present in the kitchen

And then it was time for an extended session with the shoelace! At the moment, the laser pointer is out and the shoelace is in. She demands play with it every morning and every evening. And now I had a bit of catching up to do!

That night I went to bed on time, to leave sometime for more cuddling. And she was up for it. At some point she even laid down on top of me. Normally, she drapes herself against me, but this was a special occasion. I had only been away for a few days! But I suppose we both had been keen to be reunited. I suppose this means travel of more than a few days is not straightforward anymore!

No comments: