09 January 2022

Side gig becomes clearer

Later this month, my side gig starts. I will be teaching climate Science to people who are not associated with the School of Ocean Sciences of Bangor University. I had been thinking about what to teach them for months. But in preparation for it actually happening, I had a meeting with my contact people in the south. My initial contact had been with people from the northern region, but in the north there didn't seem to be an awful lot of enthusiasm for my course. And in the south there was! I had a meeting with two ladies who talked me through the practicalities. We talked about all the paperwork, and that is important, but what I found more interesting was that they told me about the people I would be teaching. It turned out it was a club of mainly retired academics from arts and humanities, from the Llanelli area, who came together regularly to learn something new. They sounded like an interesting bunch! And it also gives me a bit more direction in how I should pitch the course. Very useful!

It's a bit daunting to take this new commitment on, but after this chat with the two very friendly ladies (and a camera-bombing cat) and the new information about the group, I am starting to look forward to it! I hope it will all go well. I will have to cross some t’s and dot some i’s in my teaching materials, but I think that will be okay! Watch this space for how it goes when it actually takes off…

No comments: