04 January 2022

New Year's Eve

I hadn't really made plans for New Year's Eve, until Guy told me that Kate wouldn't be working on the 31st. I saw possibilities! Martin was up for joining. What a crew to end the year with. But things weren't as straightforward as that. Kate is not working is a bit like pigs flying, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised when Guy told me she was anyway, and would have to bail. But it was a bummer; I had been looking for it to seeing her again. And then Guy was nervous about omicron, and wanted to meet outside. On New Year's Eve? That could be interesting. But if that's what it takes. So on the 30th I put up a tarp in the garden. There was no rain forecast for the 31st, but you never know! There certainly was rain forecast on the 30th. And my enemy would be the wind. I have a rather big tarp, and the wind was grabbing it. I have a smaller one too, but I wasn't sure that would be big enough for three people and a fire pit.

Crowbars make good tarp pegs

I also got the fire pit ready, and I thought about lighting, and I got firewood and charcoal ready. And I made sure I had enough head torches ready for people walking between riverside and house. And I bought and prepared food that would go well with a barbecue.

Good buns!

On the very day I did more prep. I was feeling a bit glum; it's only New Year's Eve 2021 once, and I felt like I was letting people down. It was kind of Martin to join us, but instead of a snug night with four people, he would be getting shivering outside with just three, one of which wouldn't even be able to make it until the end. And he could have had a night at Katrien's. But we had to roll with it now. 

Guy got in touch; what about a brief walk before lighting the fire? I was up for that, and suggested Moel y Ci. Martin couldn't join; he was making bread. But Guy and I met up, and had a lovely short walk. We walked around the hill; I didn't think the top would be a good idea as it was blowing a hooley. We also bumped into one of the archaeologists whose brain I had had the honour to pick multiple times over the summer! That was nice. But Guy saw the weather and decided we could meet up indoors after all. I had been preparing all the outdoor activities for the cat's violin! Oh well. Better just sink that effort and be comfortable inside, than to continue with the outdoor nonsense and be blown into the river. But next time I'll take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Flirting with the resident buffalo. Pic by Guy

When we got back, the cat was there to welcome us. I'm sure Guy must have had a lump in his throat! She let him pet her excessively. But then we lit the fire and put on some music and got ourselves drinks and put mushrooms filled with blue cheese on the log burner. And waited for Martin to appear. By the time he did we had another drink. By then I was ravenous! I had expected us to have started with food hours before. Guy would have had to leave fairly early so I figure to be would start barbecuing at three. So I was keen to get some food going! And the fire wasn't being particularly quick with the mushrooms. So we went to the kitchen and sped things up a bit, with the use of my oven and frying pan. Martin had brought amazing marinated salmon and stuffed peppers. I had baked buns, as you need bread with a barbecue. And I had made some tapenade. Soon I wasn't ravenous any more!

Maybe I wasn't ravenous but I still was not full, so we went for the second round. I had lamb steaks. I roped Martin in to actually cook them as I have very little experience with cooking meat. They turned out perfect! Of course they did. And they were great on my buns.

I had had bananas with chocolate in mind as desert, and Guy had brought Christmas pudding and mini hazelnut tarts. After our three course meal, though, there wasn't an awful lot of space left in stomachs for that. And by then as well, duty was calling for Guy. He needs to scan coasts at low tides for his research, and January 1st had a suitable tide. He would have to get up early! He can't wait for daylight; when the tide is right he needs to be out. He has been having some gruelling field days in the past months…

After Guy was gone Martin and I continued on the mulled wine. And the laser pointer came out! The cat was enjoying the attention, and Martin is not used to such youthful enthusiasm in a cat anymore. She even put a paw on his leg. This is a cat who has never sat on my lap in the 10 months she has lived here! So that was a big thing.

When midnight approached we went into the garden. I figured it would be nice to go into the New Year in the fresh air! And that turned out to be a good idea. On the other side of the river, some really impressive fireworks were on display. 

And with that, 2021 came to an end, and we glided frictionlessly into 2022, in the windswept dark garden. May 2022 bring good things!

No comments: