18 January 2022

Walk in the Moonlight

One evening I was sitting in my office, doing preparations for my side gig. My phone pinged; it was a message from a friend who had sent a picture of the village from above. In the moonlight. He had scampered up the hill! What an amazing idea! I felt like a bit of a dunce. There I was, being of the opinion that my day job was too busy, and somehow trying to solve that with an additional one. And he was out in the moonlight. I absolutely love moonlight! And I decided that even two jobs should not stop me from enjoying beautiful nights when they occur. So the day after I just nicked his idea and went up Moel Faban. And it was gorgeous! I didn't need torch at all.

When I got to the top a surprise awaited me; there was a tent there! I figured someone had gone there for reasons of solitude, and I felt a bit too much. I also imagined that if this tent was occupied by one person, they might be a bit spooked by the sound of approaching footsteps. What was the polite thing to do? Just keep walking, pretend I wasn't there? Or approach the tent and say hello, in an attempt to convey I had no bad intentions? I decided on the second. I approached cautiously and said "good evening". No response! Oh well. I kept walking.

I had brought my cameras, and had some attempts at taking long exposure pictures. I had not actually brought a tripod. That doesn't help! But you can sometimes just balance your camera on a rock or something like that. The results weren't great but better than nothing. I was glad I had got out, even though it was only for a walk that was as long as my standard run! There just is something about moonlight. And maybe next time it will be me in a tent in the middle of it…




No comments: