22 March 2012

Old-fashioned and modern teaching

Soon I'll be teaching the students about sea level in Ireland. I won't be doing anything new; Roland has been doing just that for years. So in order to not have to invent the wheel I would pick his brain. He would give me the lecture he normally gives them, so I could base my lecture on that. And given we're on a field excursion, and far away from the technological prowess of the university, he gives that lecture without powerpoint. He just uses a flipchart or whiteboard. And so did he during this trial run. Nicely old-fashioned!

I figured I would just take notes. But he suggested I would take pictures of what he scribbles on the whiteboard. And then I had a better idea: I would tape the whole thing! Surely my modest digital camera would be up for that. And it was. So now I have an inspirational movie of Roland, and will build on from that. Maybe a bit of an odd juxtaposition of several technological stages, but I think it works!

No comments: