07 March 2024

Sophie Kilburn and Melys

Neuadd Ogwen was back in business! Does that mean the renovation is finished? No, of course not. But they have already celebrated their reopening. And since then there was a Palestine support gig, and a Saint David's Day concert. That was spread out over two days.

Martin had messaged to see if anyone wanted to come with him to the Saturday gig. There were three musicians playing; I didn't know any of them. But I have my Spotify working these days, so I could easily do something about that.

The main act was a band that harked from nearby Betws: Melys. I wasn't aware of them, but they had quite a big back catalogue. And I liked what I was hearing! So I said I would go with him.

After that I also checked out the support acts. There were two: Sophie Kilburn, and Pys Melyn. The former only had a few EPs out, so it was easy to get up to date with her oeuvre. I really liked it! This was going well. I then checked the latter. That really wasn’t up my street. But two out of three is fine!

When Martin showed up he said there was nothing going on yet. If any of the acts would have already started, he would have been easily able to spot that from outside my house. As a matter of fact; I would be easily able to hear it inside the house. He was right; there wasn't anything happening yet. So we had a small chat before we headed in. We ordered drinks, and not much later Sophie Kilburn appeared. I dragged Martin to the front. I wanted to be close to the action! And he let me.

Sophie Kilburn 

She was great! It was just her and a guitar, but that was all she needed. And I felt I already know the songs. I hadn't spent that long listening to them, but for now she doesn't have that many. It was fab! If anyone is curious now gone check her new single "Body on the inside".

A few minutes later the second band, Pys Melyn, was ready to start. I knew I didn't have high expectations. I knew Martin had no idea what to expect. So when they were about a minute into their first song I just looked sideways. What was his judgement? He turned his face towards me and I had the answer. I suggested we get another drink and just sit down in the space by the bar. He thought that was a good idea. So we spent the while on a sofa just having a chat. Briefly interrupted by a very drunk guy desperate for a chat. Until we figured the main act was about to start. We went back in!

Melys is a much bigger setup than Sophie Kilburn; it is a five-piece band (maybe not always, but that night they sure were). The singer showed up in a beautiful shimmery dress. This was going to be a bit more showbiz than a lady in denim with a guitar. And they said they had had a five-year break and might be a bit rusty. But I wouldn't notice!

Melys

I don't find it easy to categorise the band. Quite often, they contrast the somewhat ethereal voice of the singer with a sound that has hints of the industrial in it. I think it works well! And I also liked it when they combined the much deeper voice of the rhythm guitarist with that of the lead vocalist. It became clear they are also a married couple. Extra important the combination works well!

I recognised several of the songs as I had been listening to their Spotify page. But they have a sizeable back catalogue, so I didn't know everything. And they also played a new song. That was quite good! So they clearly still have it. If anyone is curious; check, for instance, their song "Chinese whispers".

By the time they did their last time they went all out. I was really glad I was in the room, and not in my bed, trying to sleep! That wouldn't have worked. I really hope one day Neuadd Ogwen gets doors for its porch. I think the whole building malarkey started with them trying to become better sound-insulated! And building a porch over your outside doors helps, but only if that porch has doors itself. And it still doesn't. I had been forced to listen to that concert before from my bed. And now I was in the room, at least in the position to enjoy it, but also wondering if maybe I should have worn earplugs.

When the band left Martin and I decided to skedaddle. Neither of us is a veritable nightcrawler. But it had been a good gig! And I'll keep an eye out. Maybe these bands will return…



No comments: