06 March 2024

More firewood: birch this time

The neighbour had mentioned to me before that he thought some of the trees lining our little street are getting so big they are taking the light away from his windows and his solar panels. He was thinking of doing something about that. And one day I came out of my house and saw him busy doing just that. And he asked me if I wanted some logs. Of course I did!

He is not a tree surgeon, so he couldn't reasonably cut down the biggest birch there in its entirety, but he cut off some sizeable branches, and took down a smaller tree entirely. So now I have, in addition to the processed willow and walnut wood already there, some birch in the garage that I need to cut, split, and let dry for a while! I'm always happy to replenish my stock. And I must say; just like that far corner of my garden, the end of our street now looks a lot tidier than it did before. And I'm sure my neighbour now has to make a smaller appeal on fossil fuel reserves. Everybody wins!

The biggest piece; we needed to carry that together

The rest of the wood

Tidy! 


No comments: