18 March 2024

Renewed family links

Every year, we have a family reunion with all family from my father’s side. I try to make it; it’s special to spend time with people you have either known your entire life, or their entire lives. But I don’t only have a father, of course. What about my mother’s side of the family?

That family meets every year as well. It’s a bigger group; my dad has only two siblings, while my mother has eight. I remember attending these meetings as a child. And I once went as a teenager. But my mother herself hasn’t been going since my childhood, and then you get into the habit of not going yourself. And when you don’t go, you lose connection. So hence that you won’t find a report of such a family gathering on this blog. 

Then my sister phoned, and said she had connected with a cousin of that side on LinkedIn. And that had lead to them, plus an additional cousin, going for lunch. They all live fairly close together. That helps! 

I had told my sister that I was interested in jumping on the bandwagon, and not much later, I got an invite from my cousin, Jennifer, as well. And we started exchanging messages. The plan is that we will go for lunch next time I'm in the Netherlands. I'm quite excited about this! I feel there is some untapped connection there, and who knows what will come from it…


No comments: