08 March 2024

Plant overhaul

I don’t really have time for plant care! I have to write an Athena Swan application. But plants are living beings, and they have needs. I had neglected them a bit! But it was weighing on my conscience. Several were in pots that were by now too small, and some had ended up leaning against the window, and couldn’t stand up unaided anymore. And one seemed to be needing more support (from sticks) than it got.

On a Sunday morning I gathered all the plants I thought needed an upgrade. And I cut some rampant stems from overgrown sedums. I put it all in my conservatory. A material to do list. 

The plants that needed attention 

A strange succulent with climbing tendencies 

I repotted several money plants, an aloe vera, and an unidentified plant. The aloe vera also yielded three babies! I hope they all survive. One of them should go and live in my office. I propped the succulent above with more bamboo rods. (It’s a strange plant! Why can’t it support itself? And bits broke off - should I grow these into more plants that look weird and need help? Philosophical questions!) And I cleaned the windows sills they came from. 

I’m really happy with the results! My plants look better-housed, and a lot healthier. My window sills look good again. And one should sometimes just do stuff like that, and not work. 

One succulent, two money plants and one window sill looking tidier


No comments: