15 October 2023

Firewood with joist hangers

The building work at Neuadd Ogwen is still ongoing. One day I was working from home, and through my office window I could see that they had offcuts of wood. So I walked out and asked if I could steal them. And the builders said yes. And it got better than that; they said that there was more where that came from; did I want that too? And of course I did! And the bloke came up with some planks. It looked like good firewood! But it did have big bits of metal attached: joist hangers. I didn't think that was a problem. I could probably get them off! And in the unlikely case I couldn't, I could just burn the wood with hangers and all, and just fish the hangers out of the ashes afterwards.

A few days later when I was only working at home in the morning I saw more offcuts flying around, so I just went to gather these as well. The builders again said there was more; this time they said they would just pile it against my garage. That was kind of them! And when I got home after work, indeed there was a pile of offcuts by the door. Quite a few of them again with joist hangers.

Gift from the builders

In the weekend I did have a go to see how easy it was to get these hangers off. And fortunately, it is quite easy! They are fixed with a lot of nails, but they aren’t very long. With a crowbar and a mallet you can get them out without too much trouble. I have already made good progress with that! I will have to make a trip to the tip to get rid of all the metalwork though…

Work in progress 

I still have the job of making space for my workbench, of course; and after that, I should set up my new saw, and then I can deal with all this extra wood quite quickly. And it's just offcuts, but it has bolstered my rather depleted stocks considerably! 

No comments: