03 October 2023

First week of term

After day one I felt like it had been term for weeks. I snapped into it really fast! Even though it was a rather forgiving week. I did an introduction to three different modules, and only started teaching the content of the module in one of these. There were no practicals or fieldworks or suchlike in that week. I did meet one new MSci student who will do a project with me, and one MSc student of whom I am the  academic tutor. And I saw a student who had displayed some academic poor practice. And a student who wanted some extra help with an assignment. And I had two online meetings; one about ableism in the workplace (I am paraphrasing a bit here) and one about AI and assessments.

Random commute picture from that week

The rest of the time was spent preparing for the lectures, sorting out things having to do with the students getting their dissertation topics, adjusting an assessment for later in term because last year I thought it needed improvement, and making documentation for that. And doing general admin. There is a lot of that!

There, of course, also was a fair amount of biking between Bangor and Menai bridge. That's what you get for being a Bangor ocean scientist. 

I finished it all off with a pint in the pub with my Welsh tutor. By the looks of it, she needed it more than me! I think I'm already ready for the next week…

No comments: