27 October 2023

Date gate-crashed by Babet

I was going to drive to Chester for another date, on the day storm Babet would make her presence felt. Visibility wasn’t great, but nothing too spectacular. And there wasn't an awful lot of water on the road. In the vicinity of Prestatyn, there was a flood warning, but no actual flood materialised. This was all going quite well!

When I was on the smaller road, just about to cross the border into England, I suddenly saw some water on the road. The road was still in use. I needed an instant decision. I figured it wasn’t too deep, and I went in. I’m sure people have had that thought, and some of them have come to regret it! I soon wondered if I had made the right call. The water was quite deep, and the cars coming from the other direction were creating waves. Was I going to flood my engine? I sure hoped not! But I geared down and kept going. To the best of my knowledge, stopping is the worst thing you can do in such a situation. And fortunately, the road came out of the dip it had plunged into, and soon I was on dry land again. But my adrenaline levels were very high!

The date went fine! In the evening we just put the world to right. And in the morning I first made sure to check the state of that very road that had been flooded the day before. This time it was closed off! And rightly so. Then I checked if my car was still working. I just wanted to be sure! Luckily it didn't complain at all. And thirdly, I checked how I could get back to Wales while avoiding this road. That was straightforward.  

Road still a bit damp! 


Altogether the situation with the flood reminded me of the very first day I took my previous car, the Citroen, somewhere. I got away with it then too! In a way this would be a reason to relax, as clearly these cars can deal with something, but I want to veer the other way. I’d rather not be sloshing with adrenaline while driving a flooded road ever again! 

But back to the date; after all that was sorted we went for a nice run. The weather had greatly improved! There was still quite a lot of water on the roads, but it was all within reason. And then after lunch, before I knew it, it was already time to head back again. Next time at my place again!

Much better weather than the day before 

Still quite some water on the roads


No comments: