04 October 2023

A bench for the saw

Quite a while ago, I had bought a vice. I had wanted a vice for a long time! And I knew I really needed a workbench with that. But I thought that, for now, my workmate would do the job. Spoiler alert: it doesn't.

Then I bought myself a big saw. That was when the lack of workbench really became acute! I needed to act. And I decided to buy one; just off the shelf with metal legs and surfaces made of some engineered wood-adjacent material. That's not a beautiful solution and I have a lot of wood in the garage with which I could in theory make my own, but this clearly was the most practical solution.

One day I came home and found a delivery van in front of the door. The delivery man had just delivered the bench to my neighbour! Bad timing. Together the neighbour and I brought it to the garage. Later that day I made a bit of space in the garage so that at least I could put the deconstructed workbench in there, but obviously I would have to eventually make so much space I could actually put it together. I know that was going to take a bit of a while.

Temporary configuration 

I  find myself in a slight catch 22 at the moment. There is quite a lot of uncut firewood in my garage getting in the way, and of course once I would have the big saw in position I could really speed up the processing of that wood. But where am I going to put the workbench if all that wood is still in the way? I will probably have to shove it all to the side and then improvise a bit.

This is a bit of a long project, but I'm sure I'll get there! It is a bit of a logical follow-up of the cupboard under the stairs. That was also something I had been thinking about for years. Finally I got it done. This may be the next thing that I might have procrastinated about for five years, but that doesn't mean it will never happen!

No comments: