02 October 2023

Feeding the cats: review

I have given the keys back now. My friends are back home and can feed their cats themselves. When I went to feed them the first time on Friday evening, things went better than I could possibly have expected. I incorporated the cats into a very scenic run, both cats showed themselves, one was up for cuddles, and I got a cup of tea with Martin to top it all off. But it wouldn't last like that!

The next morning I went on bike. It’s a serious hill, and I always end up a bit flustered when I get there. I went in, and saw Noodle. But biking up that hill gives me a runny nose, so I blew it. And she was not amused. She ran away and was not seen again. And her sister tends to rarely show herself anyway.

That evening I already had Kate visiting. She suggested we go together, and just walk there and back. So we did! But the cats are already scared enough of me on my own; two of us was really too much. So no cats to be seen. And the next day we drove up before going to Llanberis, and again no cats.

That evening it was me on my own again. The weather was absolutely atrocious, so I decided to drive up. That saved me from any nose-blowing faux-pas. No cats to be seen, though! But when I was sorted with the food I decided to just sit in a chair for a bit and see if anything would happen. 

After only minutes, a little face appeared in the catflap. It was Dumpling! But she saw me, stared at me for a while, and then retreated. I thought that would be it. But a few minutes later she came in after all! And with the atrocious weather, she was quite wet. And she just sat in the living room licking herself dry. She didn't seem to mind me at all! I was quite excited.

When she was done licking she figured she was ready for another dose of raindrops in her fur. She vanished again! And I decided I should do that too. 

After that I had only three episodes left, and this time on days I would also get to work. But I didn't have to be in the office unusually early, so I could just bike to the cats first, and then tag the rest of my commute on to that. It gets a bit much; there is a reason I didn't buy a house on the hill myself! But for two days it's okay.

Biking up one evening 

Biking down another morning 

I didn't see the cats during any of these visits. I made sure I left the place tidy and that was it. Task done! And Sue gave me lovely wine and chocolate as thanks. Next time I will see these cats, Sue and Dean will be there themselves. That is a lot less scary. Maybe the cats will show themselves again. And maybe they will be slightly less scared of me than they were before I fed them for a long weekend!

No comments: