26 August 2023

Small-scale local race

The day after my 10k race in Caernarfon, I came across another race on Facebook: Ras y Mynydd. It was a mixed road/trail race in the surroundings of Mynydd Llandygai. It went around Moel y Ci. It looked like a cute local initiative! And it was two days later, at 7pm. I decided to go. That area is so beautiful! I had been running around there before, for instance over the top of the hill. I didn't care I had just rung my lungs out of my body. I was keen to do this race as well!

That day I hitched a ride from Martin, as I figured that if I was going to run 7.5k race (partly trail) in the evening, I couldn't really justify also spending an hour and 15 minutes on my commute. There is a limit to the amount of time I can spend exercising! Sometimes I just have to keep my job down and my household going. And the cool thing was that for entirely different reasons, Susan did the same thing. We had never gone to work all together!

After Martin dropped me back off, I quickly ate some soup, got my bike ready, and changed into my running gear. I also packed clean clothes and a towel as there was mention of showers. And then I set off! And this time it was only a 20 minute ride, so a lot more forgiving than the previous time I had biked to a race. But I still figured the soup would have been processed sufficiently by the time I would start to not cause trouble.

I parked up at the Memorial Hall, which was race headquarters, and registered. You just filled out a little form in which you gave your name, address, club (if any) and gender + age. The administrative ladies then just gave you the next number on the pile, and added that number to your registration form. And I paid the very modest £6 fee. I was ready! And I was pleasantly surprised; the weather forecast has been very wet, but the skies had cleared considerably.

Race HQ

I spotted a lady I knew from Welsh class. I still fairly regularly bump into her when I am running. And she looks fast! I figured she'd outrun me. It was nice to see her. And she lives in the village, so she had known about this race for years. It seems to be real tradition! But I had only just found out about it.

I had made sure I had enough time so I was a bit early; there was a bit of hanging around going on. I also spotted Dave and some of his associates. I hadn't seen him since early May. But then it was time to line up at the start. And then we were off!



At the start



Seen from the other side (pic by Nick Pipe)

Off we are! (pic by Nick Pipe)


I had decided beforehand it wasn't going to be a race where I would push myself hard. I had only done that three days ago! And the scenery was very beautiful. I had my camera with me, and I intended to use it. Even more so now that the weather was better than expected. But that does take time. But I got carried away and started quite fast anyway. Oh well! I knew I could wear myself out a bit in the beginning; some of that route would be downhill on uneven terrain, or slippery, and I'm not very strong on that kind of terrain. I could rest then!

We started on asphalt, and then got onto a forest road. And from there we turned off onto a narrow path with kissing gates. That was the sort of terrain I can't go fast! The path was quite slippery as it had been a wet day, and I think it is more important to not fall on my face than to run a good time.

The path lead to a bigger path, which went uphill for awhile. That is where I can do my thing! And the views became spectacular. And the downhill wasn't too steep or uneven, so that went alright as well. But when we came back to asphalt, I could accelerate again after all. No worries about where to put your feet!




The route made another loop outside the village. The views of the even better than before! But as this was off road, and the place was very muddy, you did have to pay attention to what you did with your feet. All went well. And then we got back on asphalt. I decided to squeeze out what I still had left, and thundered back to the memorial hall. Finished!



I found an acquaintance who had finished a few minutes before me, and we had a little chat. Together we saw Dave finish, and shortly after that, the lady from Welsh class. And then we decided it was time to go in for the cup of tea and piece of cake that was included in the racing fee!

When I registered they ask me if I wanted to certificate. And I had figured that why not; I did! But that meant I had to wait for them to be finished. And they were done by hand, there and then. So I just chatted away with familiar and unfamiliar people, and cheered on the winners of the various categories. This race had special categories for locals! I liked how it was all a bit improvised. And after the ceremony with prices, that certificates were finished. I went to get mine. And that was the only indication I would get that they of my time! 39:56. And it was my first episode of this race, am my first 4.6 mile race ever, so I couldn't place it in context. But I was happy with it!

Bye then it was getting quite dark so I had to make my way home. I had forgot to bring the big headlight of my bike. With the lights I had, I was visible to other people, but I couldn't see very much myself! But I got home safely. 

I really want to do that race next year as well! It has been great fun. And it is a beautiful route. And it is a fundraiser for the Memorial Hall which is the headquarters. After deducting the costs of the race, they only raised some £300, but it is something! So I intend to be back…

No comments: