20 August 2023

Senior lecturer application making progress

In June I had revealed my intention to apply for promotion at the very next opportunity. I mentioned I had already downloaded the form. And that was the easy bit! Filling it out is more work. But it is summer now, and it is possible to find some time for it. And I am making very good progress! It is as good as finished. It needs some finishing touches, and I will have to go through it again after having put it aside for a while to get a fresh view, but the main work is now done. I am basically ready to fire when an opportunity arises!

When will this opportunity arise? I still don't know! I intended to ask my line manager during my annual Personal Development Review, which he had promised would take place in summer this time (after having done them in autumn twice in a row). However; June and July have already gone, and I think my line manager and will be on holiday until the end of August. So the best I can possibly get now is a September PDR. I hope that will happen!

My next quest will be to convince him that I am ready. I'm not sure how hard that will be. Luckily, I expect to have my PDR with our Director of Teaching and Learning, which is Dei, also present, and he supports me. I'm sure that will help.

I'm also still filling out a generic form. Some time ago, the University was suggesting separate criteria for people with either Teaching and Scholarship (like me), or Teaching and Research contracts. It would make sense! But on the HR website there is no hint of anything like that. 

In the meantime I have enough to get on with; I also want to apply for Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. This is not one of the essential criteria, but it is listed as desirable. It would be good. And I hope I can just reuse a lot of the information I have dug out for the Senior Lecturer application! Watch this space…


No comments: