18 August 2023

Barbie

Like everybody else in the world, I had been aware for quite a while that there was a Barbie movie in the making. I'm not into Barbies, so I didn't think this concerned me. But then the film got released and reviewed (trailer here), and it sounded like Greta Gerwig had managed to make it my business after all. And then I had my eldest sister on the phone, who had really enjoyed it. That's quite an endorsement! So when Susan said she wanted to see it, and asked who was joining her, I didn't hesitate: I said yes.

On a Monday I biked home from work, had a shower, dressed myself head to toe in pink (there are people who are quite surprised I am equipped to do that) and was ready for an adventure.

It was the three of us; Martin hadn't been tempted, but Dean was coming. And we went to a multiplex in Llandudno. 

We had to plough our way through quite a series of commercials; mostly for fast food. And then a few trailers for nothing up my street. And I also realised I was in an unusually young audience. The last movies I have seen have largely been a bit niche, like ‘y Swn’, about the political struggle for a Welsh language television channel. You don't get many young people coming out to see that!

Then the film actually started. The first scene, famously a homage to ‘2001: a Space Odyssey’, had me chuckling. And Barbie and Barbieland then being introduced had the same effect. I liked the fact that she drinks non-existent milk, and just jumps from her house (not the ground floor, obviously) into her car. If kids are playing with Barbies that's exactly how it goes!

Subtle this film is not, obviously. But I knew that and was ready for it. I thought it was a hoot! And I'm not one to be offended by the naked feminism in there. We still need it! So I’d totally recommend it. Don your pink garments, suspend your disbelief, and enjoy the ride! 



No comments: