07 August 2023

Cupboard project finished!

Only a week ago I blogged about the start of my cupboard project. And when I have a job like that on the go, I get drawn in until it’s finished. So now I can already announce it is finished! I'm very chuffed.

The beginning was hard; making on-the-spot decisions, trying to measure everything out in an uneven space, it still having a wobbly structure. It became a lot easier when I had the entire outline. I managed to make it fit quite perfectly underneath the stairs! And then it was just a case of deciding at what height I wanted shelves.

Trying it with content, in order to decide the height of the shelves

I realised I wasn't being very strategic about it. The planks were all pallet planks, and these are either 120 or 240 cm. (At least, standard pallets, and that was the sort I had had.) So why not put shelves in at the height where the planks would be 120 cm long? Or 60 cm? But that was a little bit too much organisation for me. I ended up with stranger numbers. Oh well.

Two shelves and counting! 

I ended up using big pallet planks for the bottom two shelves, and regular pallet planks for the top two shelves. And when the last plank was put in, I could just put little felt pads underneath the legs of the rack, and shove it into position. Success!

I finished it on the evening after the fieldwork. I was very tired. But I felt very accomplished. And the next morning, before work, I tidied up all the tools, and got rid of all the sawdust. And then I could take the whole thing into use! That was what it was all for, after all.

Finished!

Starting to fill it up

I now really enjoy that space. It looks so tidy! And I suppose I have learned some lessons. Although I'm not quite sure when the next opportunity will arise to use them. But I now have given quite some pallet wood a new life, and finalised project I had been pondering ever since I bought the house! The advantage of rainy summers, I suppose…

No comments: