The house was spotless! At least, by my standards. And my luggage was ready to be completed. I was ready to get up early and start the long journey to Amersfoort.
The first thing I did when the alarm went off was to check if my 7:16 train would actually run. It would! So I had my breakfast, packed the last things, said goodbye to the cat, and left. The travel to London went fine. I had a book and a newspaper and a phone. And a flask.
In London I had some time, so I did what I do more often: sit on a bench by the British Library, and have some lunch. It’s so quiet there! In the middle of London.
![]() |
| View from my lunch bench |
When I was in the Eurostar terminal there was an announcement that my train had a technical issue. Oh dear! But only minutes later we could board anyway. And we departed on time.
I already had an email saying that my Eurostar from Brussels was delayed. And then I got another. I wondered if I should wander into Brussels for a hot drink or something. The transfer time had been generous to start with! Adding delays would make it really tedious.
I also heard an announcement that there was a train to Amsterdam leaving quite soon. Should I just jump ship and take that one? How much money was it worth to me to not have to spend two hours and fifteen minutes (at least) on Brussels South? I decided to choose the time over the money. And I got into a not very busy Dutch train onwards.
Before my Eurostar would even leave I was in Rotterdam. And then, before I knew it, at Amsterdam South. The train to Amersfoort was a bit delayed, but I still was at my mum’s at a good time! My visit could start. Not a bad trip at all!


No comments:
Post a Comment