I figured that a man who runs a garage/second hand car place can get a car sorted out with some battery power and a valid MOT pretty quickly. And maybe they can, but might have different priorities. I decided weeks ago to buy the Nissan Leaf. It took the garage holder more than a week to charge it. And then I hoped the MOT would be a doddle. Apparently, it wasn’t.
I figured that he would want to get rid of that car as fast as possible, as his forecourt was pretty busy. Surely he would want to make space for cars he can actually sell? Rather than providing free storage space for me?
I also had no way of knowing if he was bullshitting me. I started to think he was. You can check online what the MOT status of a car is. When it became clear it had its MOT, I hadn't been contacted by the man. When I phoned him he said he had only found out five minutes previously that that was the case. I figured I could pick it up now. He said I couldn't; he suggested Saturday. I wasn't sure why. He then seemed to make up a family event that afternoon. It would go a bit far to call him a liar, but I suggested I pick it up the day after then. He agreed.
I didn't know why he wanted to hang on to this car! It wasn't taxed. You can't legally drive it. What was he doing with it? I was getting suspicious. But what could I do? I could pull out, but then I was back at square one. Would he really be doing something awful to the car that would make me regret my choice?
On the day he had said I could pick it up I phoned him again. He was still hesitant. And I suppose he figured he couldn't fob me off anymore. He said it had an intermittent warning on the dashboard. That needed to be sorted first. It was the "motor power limited" error. After we terminated the call I had a bit of a Google. It looked like that meant there was a problem with the battery.
This issue is absolutely solvable, but it could take a lot of time and money. And I was very tired of waiting for this car that never materialised. So I phoned him back and I told him I wanted the bail out of the purchase. He was clearly disappointed, but he agreed.
What I now have to do is keep an eye on my bank account. I hope he refunds me soon! And start the search again. I hope my next try will be more successful!

No comments:
Post a Comment