24 August 2026

Jacko has his world record!

Back in late May I went for a little run with Jacko, The breathing coach who had done a session for the Eryri Harriers, and who is also the brother of one of my former colleagues. He had just started his world record attempt at doing the most consecutive ultramarathons for a man. He wanted to do 80 km every day for 100 days. It didn't quite work out that way. He got injured after some two weeks, and had to tone it down to 50 km. That still counts as ultramarathons! So that would still result in a world record, if he would manage to keep it up for more than 80 days. He only aimed for 100 because he could, I suppose.

The most consecutive ultramarathons for a person, by the way, is in the hands of a lady called Candice Burt, who did 200. He won't go anywhere near that. 

He has now reached that threshold of 80 consecutive ultramarathons, which until then had been the male world record. And that got some publicity. Neil saw an item about it on ITV. I couldn't find anything on mainstream media, but hey, if he reached Neil on TV he must have reached more. That's great! He is doing it all for two brain injury charities, and with the breaking of the record he got national attention, and hopefully, that attention will lead to more donations. He had tried to raise a million, but before reaching the world record stage I think he had only raised some £20,000.

He is now doing the last few weeks. I’m sure he’ll get to 100 ultramarathons. What crazy challenge will he think of next? I don’t think he will be going into a 9 to 5, with some sensible running on the side, now… 

From Facebook



In early September, he will be back in North Wales to finish his 100 days. It will be triumphant! And when I ran with him, he said that the world record was only a bonus and the important thing was basically challenging himself, and raising money for charity, but I still think the world record matters. The amount of donations coming in after he reached it will be the judge of that, I suppose! 

No comments: