12 May 2023

Compost heap progress

After buying my house I soon decided I wanted a compost heap. But it only very occasionally ended up at the top of the to do list. I first made a preliminary one. Then I decided I should move it to underneath the stairs, so I did. Nicely out of the way! But the thing with a compost heap is: you want to leave it alone so the compost matures, but you also want to add new things to it all the time. These are not very compatible! So I decided that I at least needed two compartments in my compost heap. One side where I would add the fresh stuff, and one side where I would let the older stuff mature, and occasionally withdraw compost from it. I had even identified half a pallet as a good divider. But the months came and went and nothing happened. Until I suddenly had a Monday to myself I shouldn't have had to myself, and wanted to get satisfaction out of doing chores that had been nagging at me for a long time!

I dug out the entire compost heap. I hadn't added anything to it this season, so it was all quite mature. And I hadn't filled up my entire raised bed yet, so I could just keep it up nearby. Then I figured out how I could fix the pallet. Some of that would mean fixing it to slate! I decided to try to use conventional screws in combination with resin. Fixing it to the actual stairs is easy; that is made of wood.

I didn't get beyond the plan. There is only so much you can do in one day. And it was a very rainy one! Not ideal for work in the garden. But there is another weekend coming up. I have faith I can get it done! And it is spring, so all vegetable life in the garden is going completely berserk, and there will be plenty of input as soon as I have my revamped compost heap!


The work has started 


No comments: