26 May 2023

In the mud with the camera crew

The day came I would be talking to a camera crew on an intertidal flat! For reasons of low tide, we would meet at 7AM on Anglesey, so I had to get up extra early. And I got there with a few minutes to spare. That was okay; I had actually never been to this location, and getting a few minutes to scout is quite useful. And after a few minutes, a van appeared. This turned out to be the cameraman. The others followed soon after. These were the presenter, the sound man, and two people that I think could be described as the producers. We introduced ourselves. I had met one of the producers online, but the others were new faces to me.

The crew had never been here before, and they didn't quite know what I had in the School vehicle, so we talked through the practicalities. They also changed into wellies. And then we were rolling!

I think it went okay! The hand coring was not much of a success; the sediment just fell out of the auger. But we had the core on the table. So that was okay! And I probably made all sorts of crazy mistakes in my Welsh, but they weren’t complaining about it. I was a bit embarrassed when the presenter at some point was using a very southern term, and I speak North Welsh, but I am in the habit of taking over other people’s vocabulary, so before I knew it I was using it too! My Welsh tutors will not be impressed (except the one South Welsh one).



After the main conversation over the core, the camera people want to do some distance shots, and some drone footage, and then some close-ups of us walking over the tidal flat. And then the presenter helped me get my stuff back to the car and it was a wrap! I said goodbye to them all and just went to the office. By then I really needed coffee and cake! But I think it has been a successful morning. 

They couldn't tell me yet when this will be broadcast, but they said they would let me know. And I have their contact details, so I can even ask if they forget. I hope that like the bloke from BBC Cymru, they will send me the fragment as an mp4! Then I can watch myself back, even when not in the possession of a TV licence…


No comments: