14 February 2022

Attempt at Indonesian fried rice

On a fairly regular basis, the usual gang that came into being last year has dinner together. In December I cooked for everybody for the first time, and since then, several dinners cooked by the others have taken place. And I felt like it was my turn again. I do find it a bit of a challenge; my cooking relies quite heavily on cheese, and one of us doesn't consume lactose. But I had decided I could have a go at Indonesian fried rice, or nasi goreng as it is originally known. I know I make a bit of a non-Indonesian thing of it, but that doesn't matter as far as I am concerned; as long as it tastes good. And there is an Asian supermarket in Bangor, so you can get the necessary ingredients.

The others thought it was a good idea, so I started gathering the ingredients. Malaysian nasi goreng spice mix and Singaporean satay sauce from the Asian supermarket, Thai prawn crackers from the big supermarket, Malaysian sambal from Waitrose. I couldn't find atjar tjampoer anywhere. And then combined with whatever vegetables I fancied. None of it was Indonesian, but at least it was the inspiration!

In the previous year I had bought an extra big wok and an extra big pan. That came in handy! I had a lot to fry. But with these implements it was okay. I had the full hog of rice, fried eggs, fried bananas, satay sauce and sambal. And then I could only hope the others would like it! But they are all British so of course they say they do. Let's hope they meant it.

Susan had made wingko babat, some sort of coconut cake, as dessert. It was lovely!

When then I was done we just had a good time with a drink by the fire, with the cat getting a lot of attention. A good evening if you ask me! And now I have a bit of time to think of the next dish that doesn't involve cheese…




No comments: