21 February 2022

Storm Eunice keeping it modest

Three people died in the country. All train traffic in Wales was suspended for the entire day. Hundreds of thousands of people didn't have power. Roofs blew off buildings. The University decided that because of storm Eunice, no one was supposed to come in, and that all work had to be done remotely. 

I was sitting in my office; from there I have a view over the street. Next to my garage, there normally is a row of wheelie bins. When it gets a bit gusty, these tend to start doing a little dance. And on a day with an amber weather warning for wind, and with all measures taken I mentioned such as suspending all train traffic, you really expect an energetic fandango! But nothing happened. The wind never got so strong it was worthy of comment. 

I walked to the shop in the morning, and that was very uneventful. And in the afternoon I did go for my usual run; I made sure not to pick a route where I run with the wind in my back first, and with a headwind on the way back, but in hindsight I could have. This was also very unremarkable! So storm Eunice might have let herself be felt in many areas and the rest of the country, and in other countries too, but it seems like Bethesda was just one of those places where it has pretty much passed unnoticed. Good, I suppose; no one likes storm damage. But it was a little bit underwhelming!

No comments: