02 February 2022

Ontbijtkoek attempt #2

A few months ago, I had tried to make ontbijtkoek for the first time. It was clearly recognisable as such, but it wasn't perfect! And I figured it was time for another try. I tried different recipe, and a different cake tin. The first time around I thought maybe the batter had got a bit thick due to the difference between regular Dutch buttermilk and whatever it is you can buy in the local shop here. And I had used a rather large tin, which meant the cake was a bit thin and therefore should have been taken out of the oven a bit earlier. And I had thought the spice mix had been a bit unbalanced.

This new recipe used regular milk, and I used the narrow cake tin, and I decided to first make a batch of allspice, based on a recipe of my favourite baking website: Rutger bakt. He used a few more ingredients than I owned, but everything I had on that list I chucked in. I have now a certain amount ready made, for the next time I need it!

When it came out of the oven it looked amazing. I quickly tried. I thought it was a bit sweet! Otherwise it was a success. And the next day I went underground, so I made packed lunch, and that involved an ontbijtkoek sandwich. And with the mitigating effects of the bread, the sweetness was totally fine! So I think I may have found myself a go-to recipe. And I never have to be without ontbijtkoek again! 

Making allspice

Result!

No comments: