19 July 2024

Snowdonia trail 10k: silver!

When I realised I had come 4th last year, in spite of biking to the start, and stopping along the way for pictures, I was keen to register again and improve on my performance. And the first part was easily sorted. Would the second work out as well? Especially since my knee issues in May? I had faith. After my visit to the physiotherapist I had run the distance several times without issues. 

This time I drove to Llanberis. I parked on the outskirts of town, where the swimmers go. I fancied a dip after the race! 

I already had my race number, so after a last convenience break I was ready for the start. And it was sunny! I had made sure I had my sunglasses on me. What a difference with the race only four days ago. 

I ambitiously started at the front. That way you can see how many women there are in front of you. Before we were out of town, the tally had gone up to 1. A very fast-looking woman came storming past. I didn’t think I would see her again! Except from quite a distance, from the back. 

I happily trudged up the road to the youth hostel (where the last Tuesday Evening race had been held), and beyond. The field wasn't shifting much. I could see the first woman vanished in the distance, and not much else was happening. And I made sure to keep my speed up when I reached the gravel road that goes gently downhill.

On the gravel road

At the turn where the route goes onto a grassy path I was careful, but it had been a dry day. I could still keep up some good speed, as slippery levels were modest. Then on the other side there is some uphill work that was tiring, but it is my strength.

On the grassy path, with the same red-shirted man behind me 

The path gets you back on the asphalt road that leads you back into town. That is very steep downhill in places! Inevitably, some people overtook me. But crucially, no women. And I was still feeling strong when I passed between the lakes and headed for the zigzags. I know that is my territory!

The field was quite spread out, so I had them for myself. Later on I overtook some blokes on a later uphill bit. One of them remarked it I had quite some engine on me. I told him he would come thundering past me on the way down.

Inevitably, the downhill arrived, and indeed, that very bloke came thundering past. And a few more. But, crucially, still no women! This was looking good. I had faith I could actually bag myself a silver medal this time.

I made sure go quite fast on the asphalt bit in the vicinity of the quarry hospital. If any women would be approaching me, they would have done it on the downhill part just before that. I couldn't see or hear any, but sometimes people can seem to come out of nowhere. But when I had the finish in sight I looked over my shoulder. Nobody! So I knew I would be silver. I was really proud!

Getting to the finish, knowing I have silver



Post-finish-selfie


I was taking a finish selfie when I heard the announcer say the third woman had now crossed the finish. She must have been quite close behind me! So I waited for her and gave her a hug. And then the fourth woman came in. More hugs! Quite sweaty ones.

Together we went to where you could pick up your mug, your coaster, and some food stuff. I was quite attracted to the bananas and chocolate they had there! I stayed clear of the drink, because I knew I had a litre of water in my bag, and a big sachet of isotonic drink. I would head for that. I verified that the medal ceremony would be at 12:30 (I had finished close to 10:30), and then biked back to my car. It was time for a dip in the lake!

Right next to me, a couple was trying to convince their rather cute dog to go for a swim. And there were some swans making an appearance. I didn't stay long; the only thing I wanted to do was freshen up. That is quite quickly done! Then I dried off, changed, had my isotonic drink (this was a bit old, so some of it had turned into a chewy sweet), had coffee and a sandwich, and then went into town. My sandals were at the end of their lifespan, and I knew there were outdoor sport venues in town. Maybe one of them could sell me a new pair? And the second shop indeed could. Success! And with my new acquisition in the bag I went back to the event terrain, as the medal ceremony was not that far away.

Elegant residents

And a less elegant one. I had just taken off my socks, shoes and top and had decided I was ready

When I was there I spotted familiar face: my colleague Chris, whom I had failed to give a redundant registration I had been alerted to at the end of the previous race. We couldn't change the details this close to the event, and he obviously couldn't race with a chip belonging to a female, even if he would have been happy to race under someone else's name. He is an Eryri Harrier, and was there to cheer on one of our PhD students, who is as well. But she was doing the marathon. She was not expected any time soon! So I found Chris willing to attend the medal ceremony for the 10k and half marathon. I had a supporter! That was nice. I often have Marjan, but she was travelling that day, and couldn't be there.

I won a slate plaque, a sun hat, and some socks. The socks were a bit on the big side, but they might just about to be small enough for me. And otherwise I can give them to Kate.

Pic by Chris

After the ceremony, Chris decided to go into town for a bit, and I went back to my car. Time to go home and bask in my victory there. 

There I found out that the winning lady, who hadn't attended the ceremony, had come about five minutes before me. She really was very fast! And I was impressed to see the bronze lady was in her 60s. Of the top 10 women, half were over 40! That's not bad. Among the top 10 men, only one was. But the fastest man had been 6:20 faster than the fastest woman!

The rest of the day I was quite tired. Not surprising! And well worth it. Onwards to the next race! 



No comments: