29 July 2024

Hill training and Hoka trying

My first outing with the club was an unusually sedate session, as there was a very heavy race coming up, and many of the runners didn't want to exert themselves too much in the run-up to it. And they had announced the second one was going to be special; it coincided with a promotion event by Hoka, so we would go to local outdoor shop, each borrow a pair of Hoka’s (predominantly Speedgoat 6, as this was all about promoting this newly released shoe), go for a run with them, and then give them back. I suspected this wouldn’t be a strenuous run. 



We gathered at the usual parking lot, and after a while we went up to the shop. The lady in front of me ended up with the last pair of Speedgoat 6s size 5. I ended up with a pair of Mafates. A model with a slightly wider, bouncier sole. Good for staying comfortable during long trail races. And a bit more expensive than the Speedgoat. 



When we were all booted up we ran off. The bloke leading the pack suggested 5 miles, and everyone thought that was fine. Ad he lead us up some beautiful little paths I didn't even know about. It lead into the fields. The views were amazing! But of course, after a while we ended up on tracks I knew from the Tuesday night series and suchlike. Still beautiful scenery! Then we went west, to the toe of Moel Eilio. After a strange loop and a gratuitous hilltop we turned back. All in all we had done 10k. With plenty of vertical! A lot more than I had imagined. And it had been so much more beautiful than I had expected. 





And the shoes? They were lovely! Almost a pity I had only just taken a new pair of trail shoes into use; a pair of second-hand, but very comfy, Sauconies. They had finally replaced my first pair of trail shoes I had had since 2011. And they had had their first proper outing during my previous race. But I might need new road shoes. Hoka do these too…

When we got back to the shop we did some stretches. And a beer! They had provided that too, in both traditional and alcohol-free varieties. I chose the latter. And changed back into my own shoes. 

I will keep the shop and the shoes in mind! I have a road half marathon coming up; that may be a reason to upgrade my road shoes…

No comments: