31 July 2023

Start of a new DIY project

I have two flights of stairs in my house. One is in the living room; underneath it are a ship’s trunk and a comfortable chair. The other one is in the storage space downstairs. Underneath it is a lot of stuff just piled up. I had long figured that that is not ideal; it would probably be nicer to have some dedicated storage space there. Maybe I should build some sort of storage rack. A long time ago already I had bought some wood I could use for that. But I had never got around to it! But now that I was sawing lots of pallet planks into firewood I had had an epiphany. Maybe these pallet planks could be used as planks for this rack. So my enthusiasm was renewed.

The first thing I did was empty the space. That wasn't too hard! And I knew I had a sketch somewhere of how I could make this envisioned rack, but I decided to start from scratch. I got out my measuring tape and jotted down some initial measurements. And one fine evening I started sawing some of that wood into the right size. Of course I didn't quite get it right the first time around; I had sort of forgot to take the thickness of the wood into consideration. And I needed to do some height adjustment too. 

Before

Soon after the start, though, a skeletal structure was standing. And that makes things easier; the rack was now demarcated. 

Skeleton ready

When I had some time to spend on it on a Sunday it became clear I would need a little bit more wood. So I couldn't finish it before that will get sorted. But it was coming together! Watch this space. Before you know it, I will have an organised storage space under the stairs…


Evidence of trial and error

No comments: