15 August 2021

Cave rescue administrative duties

When there suddenly was a flurry of activity around the cave rescue team I didn't end up underground, assisting anyone, but that didn't mean I didn't have anything to do. This kind of thing nowadays means some admin, since I took on a fairly administrative role in the team. Someone needs to log this! And that person now is me. Even though I later found out that if no callout is actually issued, it doesn't need to be extensively logged. I suppose that it is not really in the public interest to have a precise record of how many emails about sheep in mines that don't lead to anything circulate here in North Wales. I was glad. But of course, when a proper callout came, that also meant proper admin. And when emails and text messages start flying around, people might notice that their information is not up-to-date. I have only been in function a short while, but I have already needed to add and remove quite a number of email addresses. Luckily, that is a minute job! Bigger tasks are still waiting…

One of the things I need to do is get more familiar with all the functionality that Google offers. We have a Google site, and online membership lists. We use Google meets for online meetings. In the University, we tend to use Microsoft tools to share documents and to have online meetings and all that sort of stuff. Now I needed to teach myself the same stuff in Google. And find out how to log incidents on all the various sites were that needs to happen. And make sure I send out reminders of all the activities that are coming up. And minute all the meetings. And whatnot! I'm not complaining; I volunteered for this. But I will have to be quite efficient to slot this all in with my already quite busy day job…

No comments: