18 September 2023

Flyering in the local paper

After the citizen’s assemblies for sustainability had come to an end, it was not the end for sustainability in the valley. There was another meeting coming up, and the organising body wanted to draw attention to that. And they had been given the offer to put a flyer in the valley’s local paper: Llais Ogwan. (The voice of the Ogwen, but in the local accent a lot of vowels turn into a’s…) and sort it happens that Chris, the organiser, sent out an email asking for people to help. And I was available, and it would take place in Canolfan Cefnfaes, which just around the corner for me. So I volunteered.

Canolfan Cefnfaes

The venue is an old school, where renovations are taking place, after which it's going to get a wider use for the community. It had already been in use as a sort of food bank earlier on. And when there are elections on, it is the local polling station.

When I got in they were already quite some people, who were associated with Llais Ogwan. Shortly afterwards, Chris walked in, with his flyers. Each newspaper should get two flyers; the other one was encouraging people to read books in Welsh. And we set to work!

We were so efficient that half an hour later it was all done. I was glad I could have been of help! And in about a minute I walked back home. It was interesting to see that Chris and I single-handedly lowered the average age in that room considerably. Sustainability is for younger people than local papers, clearly! But I hope the flyers work, and that the upcoming meeting, which will also be in Canolfan Cefnfaes, is well-attended…


The paper! With Ras y Mynydd on the front cover…

No comments: