25 September 2023

Meeting my new tutees

An important part of welcome week is meeting your new tutees. Unless something unexpected happens, you keep them for their entire time with us. It's always extra special if one of your own tutees graduates. So I looked forward to meeting the new cohort. 

This time I met them in PJ Hall, which is named after the same John Pritchard Jones as PJ Institute in Newborough. All sorts of important people like the Welcome Week organiser, the Senior Tutor, the Welsh Medium lead, et cetera, did their presentations, and then they brought our respective faces onto the screen, one by one, with a list of our tutees. We would wave, and anyone who spotted themselves on the associated list would go and find us. This year they had made sure that there were a lot of chairs in the hall facing each other. So we could just find a spot and have a little introductory chat! Last year all the chairs faced in the same direction, so I had gone somewhere else. But I had figured that this year, just staying was the best solution.

There were 11 students my list, and six showed up. Could be better, could be worse. I knew I had two students who had already been at Bangor University for a year, so I could imagine they would have just skipped Welcome Week. Not sure about the other three!

I thought we had a good atmosphere going in our little group. A week or two later we would have our first tutorial; I hope they all show up, and that this is one of those groups that really get along. And does well academically, of course!

No comments: