29 September 2023

Feeding the cats

Sue and Dean were going to go away. And they hesitated to ask their friends to look after their cats. But I found out, and landed the job anyway. It was kind that they thought it was a bit much to ask. But why would you let your cats be fed by strangers if you have friends who can do it, and who really hope that one day they can be friends with these cats?

The first time I went up I combined it with a run. I had nothing timetabled that day except for an online meeting, so I could work from home. And then I figured I could just run to their place in the early evening, feed the cats, and then run back with a bit of a detour in order to make the run long enough. And not run over the direct road, of course; I had figured I could get quite close over public footpaths. 

It worked out swimmingly! The running route I had designed was very beautiful. And it mainly went over paths I rarely use. I should really do it more often! Some parts were very wet, but well, running shoes dry out eventually. 





When I got to the house, the black cat (Noodle) was greeting me in the living room. She was up for cuddles! That was special. I have never met her on my own. I expected she would be more scared of me when Sue and Dean would not be there. But she also was hinting that she was up for some food. So I sorted it out!

When I looked up from food preparation I suddenly saw that her sister, Dumpling, was there too! I really didn't expect that. She is scared of absolutely everything including me. But she just sat there in the middle of the kitchen, quite relaxed, with me less than 2 m away from her!


While I was tidying up they walked out of the kitchen. There was no trace of them anymore! So I just locked up, and left. But not before I had dropped Martin a message; my extended route back came past his house; was he in? And up for catching up? He was!

It's not far between these two domiciles, so in a few minutes I knocked on the door. He offered me a cup of tea and of course I accepted. And we had a good natter.

While we drank tea and talked, daylight vanished. Not ideal for running, but I was prepared; I had brought a headlight, a taillight, and four reflective bands. I should be alright! I said goodbye and was on my way. 

The road above his house has been recently resurfaced. It was the first time I saw it like that. It was a lot easier to run on, but it was also very ugly. And then I was on some grassy paths for a bit, which are slightly difficult in the dark, but not much later I was on a gravel road turning into an asphalt road. Soon I was home.

I figured I could do this trick again; incorporate the cats into my run. But on working days, biking or driving was probably going to be the preferred option. I would see! But the first iteration of this temporary task was a clanging success. I was glad I had found out it needed doing, and acquired it!

No comments: