17 March 2023

Impeded therapy

When I told one of my friends I was going to have therapy in Llanrwst, he had his doubts. Wasn't that place under water all the time? I acknowledged that that risk was real, but I didn't worry too much about it. And for weeks on end, everything was fine.

Then one rather wet day I drove to the village via my normal route, came to the famous bridge in the middle of town that I always cross, only to find it closed. Oh dear! I parked up somewhere and sent my therapist a message. Soon after, she phoned.

She knew the bridge would be closed, so she had driven around! It seems not to have occurred to her did I didn't know it was closed. So now what? We just agreed on a different meeting point: in Capel Curig, a lot closer to home for me. This did mean, though, that I drove past two point of interest I might otherwise have visited on the way back. One was the outdoor shop in Betws y Coed; I had decided in Yorkshire that some of my gear was beyond repair and needed to be replaced. And why drive to go to a shop if you drive past on the way to somewhere else?

The other one was the hotel that was renovating. I would have liked to pick up a bit more firewood! I hadn’t the week before as I had had my boot full of bike. Pity to miss two opportunities in a row! 

The weather was appalling. At some point my therapist suggested we just turn around given that we were both battling against the horizontal rain. That doesn't really help conversation! So some of the time we were just standing still in a spot where some trees provided shelter. It was by far the worst weather we had had since starting this!

The weather that day

When we were done, I decided to first drive home and put on the some dry clothes. I had not bothered with waterproof trousers so I was soaked to the bone!

We agreed that in the future if she realises the bridge is closed, she will draw my attention to that. That will avoid the sort of fruitless driving around we did this time. And this session didn't yield things like a new sleeping bag liner, nor firewood, and it did necessitate a change of clothes, but I was glad we still had managed to at least get the therapy part sorted, which of course is the essence!


No comments: